Saturday, September 12, 2009

Stoneware Communion Set

I just finished unloading the kiln. Almost completely special orders, so nothing fun for me. But, this 9 piece set for the Episcopal Diocese of Delaware, to be used at Camp Arrowhead, is my favorite from this kiln load!

The campground is covered in sassafras trees, according to the director. So, we designed a set of carafes (1 litre each), a set of chalices for intinction (1 1/2 cups each), a set of chalices for communion by mouth ( 1 3/4- 2 cups each) and I impressed and applied leaves from one of my sassafras trees onto each. Then I carved the camp logo into a set of patens and created a lava bowl to match. The chalices are all 8 inches tall and the patens and lava bowl are all 9 1/2 inches in diameter. (Click on the picture above to enlarge it if you would like to see them more clearly.)

I must say, I love this set - it came out of the kiln just gorgeous. I hope they are pleased and it serves them well for many years to come! It is such a blessing to be able to share in communion with people I will never meet (not in this world, anyway)!

No comments: